Includes 3 Laboratories
- Electrical Quantities Metrology Laboratory
- Time, Frequency & Microwave Metrology Laboratory
- High Voltage Metrology Laboratory
Electrical Quantities Metrology Laboratory
The department is responsible for maintaining and disseminating the national electrical standards for the quantities of DC voltage and current, resistance, capacitance, inductance and AC/DC transfer. Also, the activities of the information technology laboratory are related to this department. Calibration of the standards and electrical equipments of scientific and industrial laboratories are performed. Scientific research is carried out to improve the calibration measurement capabilities of the department.
- Maintenance and dissemination for the national electrical standards of DC voltage, resistance, capacitance, inductance and AC/DC transfer, through the traceability to the SI units.
- Improving and establishing the quality of the primary, secondary and reference standards by continuous highly accurate internal calibrations.
- Establishment and development of the measurement standards and methods to realize and maintain the highest levels of accuracy due to many scientific researches.
- Verifying degree of equivalence of measurements within the department with other national laboratories through international comparisons.
- Calibration of all related standards and instruments such as voltage and current sources, multi-meters, meggers , testers, RCL meters, and …. etc.
- Giving consultation and training for all purposes related to accurate electrical measurements for industry in Egypt, Middle East region and African countries.
- Many activities related to the information technology field.
Time, Frequency & Microwave Metrology Laboratory
Realizing, maintaining, and developing the national Time and Frequency Standards for Egypt using Cesium Beam Frequency Standard 5071A. Building the Egyptian time scale (UTC (NIS)). Time and frequency dissemination. Also Realizing, maintaining, and developing the national primary standard of high frequency (HF) power for Egypt using Microcalorimeter in the frequency range 10 MHz-18 GHz. Participation in the International Inter-comparisons. Conducting research for enhancing the accuracy and uncertainty of measurements in both the time and frequency metrology and in the microwave metrology. Providing traceability to SI for Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) measurements.
- Participation in the international Key comparisons of time and frequency that organized by the International Bureau of Standards and weights (BIPM).Participation in international comparisons for radio frequencies.
- Calibration of the time interval measuring devices, oscillators (Cesium, Rubidium, Quartz), rotary and planer motion devices, frequency counters, tachometers, oscilloscopes, RF signal generators, spectrum analyzers, microwave power sensors, and cable and Antenna Analyzers, …etc.
- Circuit characterization (measurement of scattering parameters and attenuation coefficient) in the frequency range 10 MHz – 40 GHz.
- Measuring the harmonic content and distortion of signals in the frequency range of 9 kHz – 30 GHz.
- Providing training, and Consultations.
High Voltage Metrology Laboratory
High Voltage lab can achieve traceability to SI Unit for measuring and sourcing AC & DC high voltage and high current instruments. Also, the lab can achieve traceability to SI unit for measuring and sourcing power and energy instruments based on the primary standard of electrical power and energy at NIS. Also, HV lab can perform tests that are related to these activities according to international standards. In addition to that, scientific research is carried out to improve the calibration measurement capabilities of the laboratory.
- Calibration of AC H.V. measuring & sourcing instruments more than 1 kV up to 400 kVACand 200 kVDC.
- Calibration of AC current measuring & sourcing instruments more than 20 A up to 5000 AAC and 2000 ADC.
- Calibration of partial discharge calibrators up to 2000 pC.
- Calibration of transformer oil testers up to 60 kV.
- Calibration of transformers turns ratio meters.
- Calibration of MEGGERSmore than 100 MΩup to 611 GΩ, with DC voltage source up to 5kVDC.
- Calibration of electrical safety testers.
- Safety tests for electrical household appliances.
- Testing of withstand and breakdown voltage for all types of insulators.
- Calibration of power and energy measuring and sourcing instruments.
- performing the TYPE TEST for all kinds of energy meters
- Testing of phase sequence indicators
- Calibration of power, current, and voltage transducers.