The laboratory maintains the internationally recognized primary length standard, which is a wavelength of anultra-stabilized laser. All length measurement activities in Egypt should be traceable to this standard. The laboratory also offers calibration services for laser devices that are used in length measurements, medical applications, and optical fiber communications. In addition, laboratory offers calibration service for the GPS position determination equipment.
The unit of the length “the meter” is defined in 1981 as “The length traveled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/speed-of-light of a second“. This definition can be used directly to measure the time-of-flight of a laser pulse in order to measure long distances starting from room dimensions to the distance between earth and moon. Light Wavelength has been also recommended for the measurement of short distances accurately.
Optical Frequency Measurement
- Accurate frequency measurement of He-Ne lasers at 633 nm (Primary length standards).
- Accurate frequency measurement using femtosecond frequency comb (500-2100 nm).
- Displacement interferometer calibration (wavelength).
- High resolution laser spectral analysis.
- Detection of gas traces using tunable lasers.
- Determination of fine and hyperfine structure of absorptions.
- Detection of the two-photon and saturation (Doppler free) absorptions.
- Spectrometers calibration (wavelength scale).
- OTDR calibration (loss and distance scale).
- Accurate wavelength measurement for DWDM lasers.
- Optical spectrum analyzer (OSA) calibration.
- Fiber power meter calibration.
- Chromatic dispersion measurement.
- Polarization mode dispersion measurement.
- SDH analyzers calibration.
- Variable attenuator calibration
- Check of splicers operation.
- Pulse width measurement of nano– and femtosecond lasers.
- Laser beam profile measurement and focusing diameter.
- Laser wavelength measurement.
- Laser peak power and Energy measurement (in collaboration with radiometry lab.).
- Laser Doppler velocimeter calibration.
- Laser Distance meter calibration (stand-alone and built-in in total stations).
- Alignment Laser calibration (ex. shaft alignment lasers).
- GPS receivers calibrations.
- Range finders calibration.
Our laboratory provides training courses in any of the above mentioned measurement capabilities or even devices. Some courses are also suitable for university students. The courses will be provided by our highly qualified researchers. Available training courses will be announced at our web site*. Special courses can be provided upon request.
The main areas of research:
- Cost effective frequency stabilized laser sources at different wavelengths for length measurements.
- Two– Photon stabilized laser at 778 nm and 1.56 µm for Telekom applications (DWDM).
- High resolution tunable laser spectroscopy.
- Absolute length measurement using tunable lasers and femtosecond laser comb.
- Telecom Egypt