The main objective of NIS Acoustics Laboratories is the realization, calibration and research project to improve the standards for measurement quantities of sound pressure level in air and rectilinear acceleration. The integration and equivalence of realized national standards within the international metrology system is assured through participation in international comparisons. Traceability and measurement coherence for secondary level laboratories within the country are provided by means of a wide range of calibration, measurement and test services. The Acoustics Laboratories are the Electro acoustics, Audiometric and Vibration Laboratory.
Calibration of devices used in acoustical measurements at the primary and secondary levels, characterization of special acoustical rooms.
The International System of Units (SI) defines the derived quantity Pa as the derived unit of measurement to be used in the acoustical area. Also it is represented as sound pressure level as dB, where the reference level is 20 µPa.
In acoustic department:
- Calibration and testing of acoustics devices using primary and secondary systems.
- One of the other objectives is to generate research projects.
Calibration and measurement services
- Calibration of Sound level meter (SLM) using primary calibration system type 3630
The new standard IEC 61672: Parts 1–3 Standard replace both old SLM old (ISO60651) Standard and divide the instruments into two performance classes only: class 1 and class 2, compared with the older classifications of Type 0 to Type 3.
- Calibration of Microphone using Reciprocity Calibration Apparatus Type 5998
Primary calibration of laboratory standard microphones with the reciprocity technique is standardized in international standard, IEC publication 61094-2:2009.
- Calibration system for (Microphons, calibrators, pistonphones, accelerometers and actuators
- Calibration of audiometer
- Calibration of vibration
- calibration of devices used in vibration measurement Development and improvement of vibration lab.
- Comparison Technique with the aid of ISO 5347-3.
- The vibration source circuit consists of: vibration exciter body unit type B&K 4812, sine signal generator B&K 2035, and power amplifier type B&K 2707, was used to generate vibrations of sine wave with certain levels at different frequencies from 10 Hz to 1000 Hz in third-octave bands.
- Telephone Test
- Measures the full transmit and receive signal path using a proper network simulator and air interface
- The HATS simulates a telephone user’s ear and mouth, allowing the tested telephone’s handset to be mounted in the correct position relative to the artificial ear and mouth simulator
Field Measurements :
- Sound distribution and reverberation time in auditoriums.
- Sound insulation in buildings and of building elements.
- Sound power of electric machinery.
- Environmental noise.
- Vibration parameters.
- Scientific consultation for controlling ambient noise levels
- Define criteria and recommended designs for the best acoustical performance.
- Suggestions to overcome acoustics problems in many fields such as :
- Building and vibrations
- Human health
- Noise pollution
- Egypt Air
- Miraco Carrier
- Eastern Company
- Egyptian Environmental Affairs Agency
- Arsenal of Port Said
- Faculty of Engineering, Cairo University