The ultrasound metrology lab is designated the responsibility to establish and maintain the Egyptian measurements in the field of ultrasonic and compare them continuously with the international standards, so that they would be always valid and ready to be used for calibration purposes. Carrying out scientific research and measuring the physical properties of different materials.
The ultrasonic laboratory can perform the calibration services according to the international standards as follows:
- Calibration of ultrasonic instruments used for non-destructive testing of materials using pulse echo technique.
- Calibration of ultrasonic standard reference blocks.
- Calibration of different types of ultrasonic transducers (normal, angle and TR probes).
- Calibration of ultrasonic thickness gauges.
- Calibration of ultrasonic flow meters.
- Calibration of ultrasonic cleaners.
- Calibration of AC Yokes.
Testing according to international standards (Detection & Evaluation)
Detection of flaws (defects) inside the materials using ultrasonic techniques is considered as one of the important non-destructive tools. Ultrasonic waves are characterized by the high ability to test the very thick parts as they can pass through the material with no remarkable absorption inside the material. Such criteria are not found in other types of waves (or X-rays). Moreover, there no hazardous effects on people compared to the ionizing radiation testing tools. Furthermore, ultrasound waves are used for testing and thickness measurements of only one sided parts. Therefore, it has different uses in following corrosions in petroleum pipes, testing of welds (especially the thick welds) and detection of defects inside alloys and many other applications in industry and safety.
Training and Advisory
Highly qualified scientists are giving advices and training courses for companies, factories and all organizations working in the field of non-destructive testing of materials.
High scientific researchers in the field of ultrasonic metrology are qualified and having the ability to characterize and develop the materials and comparing the result data with other methods used for this purpose.
The most important measurements in the laboratory
- Measurement of ultrasonic wave velocities (longitudinal & transverse)
- Calculations of mechanical properties of materials in the micro and nano scales which are compared with those obtained using different techniques.
- Measurement of ultrasonic absorption coefficient (α).
- Study the relaxation phenomena at low temperature.
- Measurement of liquid flow rates in pipes using the ultrasonic flow meter.
- Determination of viscosity using viscometer instrument.
- Measurements of the ultrasonic power of medical transducers.
- Petroleum Marine Services Co.
- Suez Canal Authority
- National Steel industries
- The Arab contractors
- Seenopex Oil services