Temperature is one of the most important of all physical quantities. Measuring and controlling of temperature play an important role in the fields of industry, environment, health and scientific research. The main job of the Lab. is to realize the unit of thermodynamics temperature Kelvin by realizing the international temperature scale (ITS-90).
- Thermometry, Humidity, Viscosity and Thermal analysis.
The primary standards of temperature, based on (TPW) Triple Point of Water and other fixed points, called the thermal equilibrium states, are well established at NIS as per International Temperature Scale of 1990 (ITS-90) in the form of sealed cells of high purity materials.
The temperature scale at ThML from 54 K to 962 °C, (FPs O2, Ar, Hg, Sn, Zn, Al, Ag) is realized by SPRT with uncertainty varying from ±0.14 m °C at TPW (0.01 °C) to maximum ± 5 m °C at Ag point (961.78 °C).NIS is constructing a State-of-the-Art cryostat for highly accurate temperature measurements down to 6.5 Kelvin.
In the thermocouple thermometry, the range from 0 °C to 1554 °C is realized by standard Type-S & R TCs with uncertainty varying from ±0.32 °C to ± 0.8 °C. ThML offers thermocouple calibration at high temperature with ultra-low uncertainties in the novel cobalt-carbon (Co-C, 1324 °C) and palladium-carbon (Pd-C, 1492 °C) eutectic fixed points with Uncertainty ± 0.55 °C and ±0.7 °C.
The radiation temperature scale has been established by installing photoelectric linear pyrometer, LP4 and realizing the silver point (Ag, 961.78 °C) and copper point (Cu, 1084.62 °C) in the form of metal-in-graphite blackbodies with an uncertainty better than ± 0.02 °C.
Relative humidity calibrations are offered at primary level (calibration directly against a national standard humidity generator) or at a secondary level (against a traceably calibrated transfer standard hygrometer). in the range from 10 to 98 % reltative humidity and from -70 oC to 180 oC temperature ThML offers facilities for moisture content wood and other building materials.package grain, with uncertainty range from ± 0.5% to ±1%.
ThML offers facilities for Dew point meters calibration in the range from -50 oC to +50 oC dew piint temperature.
Realization and extension of the National viscosity scale with an uncertainty of 0.25% starting from 1.0035 mm2/S up to 200000 mm2/S at wide temperature ranges, from -20 oC up to 100 oC. Calibration of all types of viscometers and oils.
- Calibration of SPRT in the range from 54 K up to 962 oC.
- Calibration of Infrared (Pyrometers) in the range from 960 up to 2300 oC.
- Calibration of Liquid in Glass Thermometers within the range from -20 oC up to 400 oC.
- Calibration of all types of thermocouples from -80 oC to 1100 oC by comparison with standard thermocouples which have been calibrated on the ITS-90.
- Calibration of all kinds of viscometers and determination of viscosity of liquids.
- Calibration all kinds of hygrometers, thermo-hygrometers and data loggers in the range from -80 oC up to 170 oC &10% to 98%.
- Determination of calorific values and thermal properties of materials.
- Validation system (temperature and relative humidity) is used for calibration, validation, thermal mapping for climatic chambers (walk in and bench top), and incubators and heat penetration study by using penetrating sensor.
- Experimental training courses in calibration of thermometers, viscometers, hygrometers and thermal properties measurements.
- Armed Force.
- EZZ Steel
- EL- Sweedy for Cables
- Egypt Air